Bike to Vung Tau

There was a long weekend last June 2017 here in Philippines so I decided to have a quick trip to one of my favorite destinations ... Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam. Luckily I was able to book using my free flight voucher given to me by Philippine Airlines. I decided to use it and it was in Business Class. No complain about that. Flight experience was hassle free. Flying from NAIA Terminal 2 is not as busy as flying from Terminal 1 and 3. The only downside to it is that there's not much to do and the terminal is small. But again, why complain if it's for free. Flying to Vietnam, PAL uses it's A320 or A321. We're flying A320 which has the regular business class seats. Not as fancy as the other Asian airlines but it's comfortable for a 2 hour and 15 minute flight.

Business Class meal to HCM (Not so business by using regular plastic plate)

Nguyen Hue St going to Ho Chi Minh City Hall

Famous Saigon Opera House

Upon arrival in Vietnam, there was already excitement in me since I know I would be trying something different this time. We were checked in at Sheraton Saigon which is close to almost anything in District 1 (best district to stay if you are a tourist like me).


Luxurious room at Sheraton Saigon


Riding a bicycle is not really something I do all the time but i've tried it several times. I fell once before but it was nothing serious. I joined a tour where they specialize in tours by bikes. This time, we were going to Vung Tau. Vung Tau is a beach city in Vietnam. It caters more to local tourists. It is 95kms from Ho Chi Minh. The guides plan was to ride a bike for 55kms and the rest would be by van and boat. I was like "Okay, I did 45kms in Bangkok. I'm sure I can do it." We were picked up at the hotel and drove to a pier where we would transfer the van (with bikes) to the other side. It was indeed a local experience since there were only a few tourists in the boat and like 98% were locals. I was extremely excited and enjoying the moment. I love going out of the touristy side of every country.


Locals in motorbikes waiting for the ferry to arrive


Inside the ferry being transferred to the other side



By the time we got to the other side we rode a little bit and turned to this off road area where we started setting up our bicycles. There were ZERO foreign establishments in the area. You need to go to a small store to buy water. We started our 55km journey there. You get to see the countryside and people would wave an smile everytime you pass by them. It was truly a wonderful experience. There were no paved roads and we had to avoid rocks and potholes for us not to fall.

I'm all ready for the bike ride.

Van is behind us in case I would feel tired


The first 11kms was really smooth sailing but after that I started to feel sore. It go really hot and humid and I was really sweating big time. The humidity was kicking in and the continuous off road was making my butt sore. I was starting to get really tired. We had to stop several times. We even stopped at a small house where we bought sugar cane juice and to relax. There were no stores which sold Gatorade or even Soda. I had to settle with Sugar Cane which, I have to say, was really good. We continued after and I was really trying very hard to overcome fatigue. We passed by rice fields, some resorts and even factories. After 26kms and hours of cycling I had to give up and let the others continue. Good thing the van was just beside us all the time in case one had to give up and that was me.

Still feeling okay after a few kilometers


Some of the areas we passed. No sun but it was humid.


I packed up and brought my bike to the van and continued going to Vung Tau by Van. The rest stopped and packed up as well after a few kilometers. I guess cycling in June is not a good idea because of the heat and most of the time it was off road. It was for the fit and sporty.  But still we were able to see Vung Tau and enjoyed the rest of the day. I had to make up for the lost calories with good pho and cake. LOL.

Extremely tired at this point. Went to a small hut for sugar cane juice.


My reward for a tiring day


 
Tired but happy me


I would definitely do this again but on a perfect weather. I believe this is the best way to explore the countryside and to experience the culture, what the locals do and where they hangout.

Comments