AIRLINE REVIEW: PHILIPPINE AIRLINE A330 BUSINESS CLASS FROM HANEDA TO MANILA

After a short holiday in Tokyo, it was time to go home. I really don’t like saying goodbyes especially ending holidays like this. I just hope everyday was a holiday. But no ... I have to work. 

There are 2 ways flying out from Tokyo. Narita or Haneda. Since I have experienced Narita many times, I opted to fly out from Haneda which is closer than Narita. It was just like a 30-40 minute travel compared to Narita which is more than an hour. I was suppose to take the train but with the stuff I’m carrying I took Uber. Uber in Japan is expensive I have to say. I think I learned a lesson there. It was my first time taking a car to the airport in Japan so I was just enjoying every last minute of Japanese scenery. 

Getting near Haneda airport I can see the massive glass sturcture and it looks quite modern. I don’t know if this was remodelled or what but the exterior looks new. There were lots of people inside the terminal but it does not feel crowded at all. Maybe the glass panels makes the terminal look big from the inside.

Today I will be flying Philippine Airlines (again) but this time it will be in an Airbus 330. I guess demand is higher nowadays in Japan for PAL to use one of its bigger planes. I waited inside the terminal since the check-in counter was not yet open. So I wandered around Haneda. One thing I love about this airport is that it has an outdoor area where you can have coffe and at the same time plane-spotting. It has a wonderful view of the runway and the apron of the airport. You can just watch activities being done and at the same time landing and take-off of airplanes. Problem is that it was really cold at that time so you cannot really stay out long. 


Perfect view for airplane enthusiasts.


Exterior View of Haneda International Airport


Check-in terminals. Lots of people inside but it dow not feel crowded.


Natural lighting gives the terminal a relaxing feel.


Also on the second floor of the terminal are restaurants and some shops. I just love how it feels that you are in a mall or a theme park since the surroundings are really Japanese in design. You will not know you are in an airport once in that area. The fast food area looks classy as well. There are plenty of food choices and lots of souvenir shops. It really felt that you were in a small Japanese Village. There’s also a portion where it looks like a park.


Second floor offers vast seletion of restaurants and some souvenir shops.


Some areas of the second floor makes you feel like your in a park.


Spacious second floor area while waiting for your counter to open. The escalator goes up to the viewing deck.


Some portions are like small Japanese Villages.


Checking-in was a breeze and in no time I was on my way to the lounge. Philippine Airlines uses the ANA Business Lounge which is good since ANA is one of the major carriers in Japan so it means that the lounge is going to be big. Once inside, I noticed that it was really quiet. There’s plenty of seating and it has a good view of the Aprol and the Runway. There’s a shower too if you feel like taking a shower. 

As for the food, I was expecting more. There was just like 2 hot food served in the buffet area. Karaage (Fried Chicken) and some Yakisoba (noodles). There was a sushi section and some pastries. Luckily there was a Ramen section where you have to order. So I ordered some Pork Ramen which was actually good. Well, not really comparable to the ones in the city of course.

I spent an hour in the lounge relaxing and enjoying the view. The remaining hour I spent outside buying souvenirs and some chocolates. Once done with shopping I went to the gate and waited a little when boarding started on-the-dot! I love Japanese punctuality.


Large viewing deck but very cold. You can kill time just by watching the planes land and take-off.


Large ANA Business Lounge. Lots of seating and bright. 


This is the dining area. Lots of seat as well. Very quiet also.


Some of the sandwiches being offered.


Few selection of Sushi.


Yakisoba and Karaage. Not much selection here.


I can see my ride.


Ordered some pork ramen from the ramen bar and got some chicken as well. Not that bad. Not really that goo either.


The ANA Business Class Lounge entrance.


Boarding was really fast and I was at me seat in no time. I was seated at 1D which is the Aisle Seat. Philippine Airlines Business class is in the 2-2-2  standard full-flat configuration with a 180 degree angle. Not really by favorite since there’s no privacy when you are a single traveler. It would be okay if you are traveling with someone. Just make sure not to get the window seat since you need to climb over your seatmate when reclined and you need to go to the lavatory. But with a short 4 to 5 hour flights, it’s okay. Philippine Airlines has these leather type of seats which I have to say I’m not really comfortable with. It feels like you’re sticking to it. I still do prefer the fabric ones. I just hope the cabin won’t get too hot because definitely these seats would get hot as well. Plus the fact that the seats were a little bit hard. 

My seat came with a big fluffy pillow and regular blanket. I just love how PAL provide big pillows on Regional Flights. Welcome drinks were served and menu cards were given. The Berry Smoothie searved was good. I just love PAL’s smoothies. Make sure you order them if they have it. 

It was a full flight so it means that someone is sitting on the window side. I just hope that when I recline he won’t go to the lavatory because I need get up and have to set my seat to the regular position. The hassle of this configuration. Luckily, he slept the whole flight (LOL).


Row 1 of PALs Business Class. Fluffy Pillow with regular blanket. You have like 3 windows for yourself.


Not much privacy if you are travelling alone. Plus you can see the feet of your seatmate because seats are pointing inwards.


There were no slippers this time. I was really looking forward to those slippers. One problem as well with the aircraft is that there’s only 1 lavatory for the whole business class section. There were 18 seats and only 1 lavatory. That’s the downside. Good thing the crew would advise you if there is someone in the lavatory and would call you back if it’s available. 

As for the seat, there’s no screen also. They provide you with an iPad for inflight entertainment or you can download the myPal app and connect from your own iPad. Again, I would still prefer to had the screen in front of me so as i don’t have to carry or being with me the ipad when I recline or when I eat. Quite difficult to position the iPad when you are eating with the tray on the table. 


Business Class Menu. Selection of Western, Filipino or Japanese. 


Delicious smoothie as a welcome drink. I asked for another round.


For this flight they were serving lunch. For business class you have a choice of Western, Filipino or Japanese cuisine. I opted for the western menu (Chicken and Pistachio Roulade). It was actually good. Meal setting was okay. Not really the restaurant style. Everything was in a tray, they just replace the salad when it’s time for the main course. Food taste was good. I just hope that the serving size was bigger. I used to hate airplane food when I was a kid but now I like it. 


Canapes. It was Mozzarella balls and salmon.


Pre-arranged tray with Salad, Dessert Pie and bread bowl and butter.


Main Course of Chicken Roulade. It was delicious. I just wish serving size was a little bit bigger.


Haagen Dazs as a second dessert. Rock hard. You have to wait a little bit beacuse it gets soft. I love their Vanilla flavor.


For a 4 hour and 30 minute flight, why am I to complain? It was comfortable and food was good. Service was wonderful as well. I would just find it difficult if it were a long-haul flight with this kind of product. The new A330 of PAL has better seats and I am looking forward to that. It looks more comfortable and there is more privacy to it. 

Mandatory Legroom shot. I need to get up or return my seat to take off position if my neighbor would get up or he would have to go over me. 


Download myPAL player on your iPad to be able to watch TV Shows and Movies. Wifi is available at a cost. Quite expensive. Just wait till you arrive.


Overall, I have to say, that PAL is really trying their best to be in the game. Although it’s still a long way to go but I can see they are improving. It’s still my airline of choice when I go around Asia. Hopefully, time will come, it will become a 5-Star airline. 

Comments