AIRLINE REVIEW: China Southern Airlines Boeing 737-800 Economy Class

Since i’ll be attending a meeting and an exhibit in Guangzhou in China, I have to find a cheap and quick flight going to Guangzhou. The best time is with China Southern. And since it’s a member of Skyteam I booked the flight so I can earn points for my Delta mileage. 

China Southern is flying from NAIA Terminal 1 and it's main Hub is in Guangzhou, China. It's a young airline, just 20 year old I believe. They really offer good deals and one of the reason i'm flying with them is because of the good price and the convenient schedule to and from Guangzhou.

CZ (China Southern) leaves around 8:40am from Manila and arrives Guangzhou at around 11am and uses it’s Boeing 737. Mornings are busy at NAIA Terminal 1 since there are several flights which flies to Middle East and some Asian flights like Asiana and Japan Airlines. Since I arrived early the check-in counter was still closed and opens 3 hours before the flight. Once counter opened I was able to check-in right away. Check-in was very efficient and quick. There were only a few passengers in line since it would be using a small plane. 

My ride to Guangzhou. China Southern Boeing 737-800

NAIA Terminal 1 Departure Hall. Well lit now compared to before.

Immigration Area (not supposed to take pictures). Light load today. Breezed thru immigration.

NAIA Terminal 1 really improved from the old set-up. There are more shops and there are cafes where you could hangout. Although prices are really high. Even though there are lots of improvements, it would still not be comparative to the likes of Singapore and Hong Kong. But still, i’m glad it did improve. 

I did settle at Starbucks while waiting for the time. I would have used the lounge access courtesy of American Express Platinum but opted to try sitting at Starbucks where you get a wonderful view of the runway. Watching the planes land and fly is already an effective way to kill time. I did wander around too and visited the shops. Lots of selection but I was not really there to shop.


Starbucks viewing area. Nice place to have coffee. You get to see planes take off and land.

Starbucks in NAIA 1. Improved dining facilities compared to before.

More of the departure area. Mostly carpeted not compared to the rubberized flooring before.

After being at Starbucks for quite some time I went to the gate and just waited there. The plane was parked already and luggage was being loaded. I have not been in a 737 for quite some time since most Asian airlines use Airbus on short flights. I have read mixed reviews of CZ so I was really curious on my flight is going to be. 

Once boarding was announced everyone stood up but ground crew was able to control the crowd to have an orderly boarding procedure. Luckily I was able to get the exit row. I noticed as well that seated at exit rows are non-Chinese nationals. I don’t know why, but I guess this has a story to it.  

Once inside, the plane had 1 row of business class recliners. Total of 4 seats only then the rest is economy. The plane was clean and still looking new. I went to my seat which was at the exit row and legroom was very good. Seat was comfortable. During the boarding process there were announcements made on how people should be behaving. LOL. They made emphasis on proper behaviour. Lots of people were bring so much hand carry and overhead bins were full. Some were pushing which I guess was normal for them. 


Our departure gate. You have to go down the stairs. Not much passengers.


Business Class section of CZ. 4 recliner seats. Comfortable for a short flight.   

My exit row seat. Really comfortable and the leg room is great.

One thing I noticed during the flight is that there was onboard security which really goes around the cabin and talks to people when they start to misbehave. I guess CZ experienced some instances where there were out of this world behavior.

The food was good. I had noodles with fish. It was tasty. A little bit on the oily side but overall, nothing to complain for a 1 hour and 30 minute flight.

The crew were very professional. They were really doing their job well. Although not all of them speak English. There are some with a pin that say they speak english so might as well talk to them if there are any concerns. Announcements were not that clear and the cabin manager was really having a hard time speaking in english.



Noodles for breakfast. Food was good. Tasty!
More of the economy seats.

Obligatory legroom shot. It was great actually.

Seats have blankets and pillows. Nice touch.

Overall the flight was okay. I did not encounter any problems. Baggage handling was good. Points were credited to my Delta Miles, Cabin Temperature was okay. They offer cheap prices for flights going to US. I'm really curious how their long haul flights are. I read mixed reviews but most of them were good. Well, I guess I could try them one of these days.


Comments